Thursday, April 19, 2012

The George W.

Tucker and I in February had the opportunity to hear and meet George W. Bush. He was amazing and fun to listen to. He also has a very warm and inviting personality. After he spoke, we were lucky enough to have a photo opportunity with him. We were almost last in a line with about 30-40 other selected people. We had gotten the ticket for the photo op from his Uncle who had volunteered to watch Gracie while we went to get our picture taken. We watched as those ahead of us went into the special photo booth to meet Mr Bush and have their photo taken. We would hear them say, "George, its so good to see you again" or "We are friends with Governor so and so that you know", or "My brother is Senator blah, blah, blah, or "We are from such and such place in Texas and we love Texas". Tucker and I realized very quickly that we had nothing to say to this very important person. Those ahead of us were much older and most of them have had pretty prestigious national positions, BUT not us. I'm pretty sure we stuck out like a sore thumb-I kept singing in my head, "One of these things is not like the other one". We were nervous and it didn't help that there were about a million body guards around that could have picked us up and flung us across the room with one finger. As we entered the booth, I quickly said-"Hello!" (What else are you supposed to say to a previous President of the United States?) I'm pretty sure Tucker was choking on his tongue because he didn't say a thing. Mr Bush quickly put his hand out and shook mine and Tucker's hands. He pulled Tucker to the left side of him and me to his right. He immediately put his arms around us just like we were old friends. And the picture was snapped. I think everyone there could probably feel the severe awkwardness of Tucker and I trying to think of what to say. Mr Bush was nice enough to say, "Where are you guys from?" Tucker and I both replied in unison, "Salt Lake City". And then we just walked out. I seriously hesitate even posting this picture. It reminds me of a segment on "The Ellen Show" called "Seriously Bad Paid for Photos". I'm pretty sure my face couldn't look more like a garden beet and I'm pretty sure Tucker had this exact same hair and "deer in headlights" look in one of his senior pictures. So after much anticipation...here it is!















We really needed Gracie in the picture to help tame the awkwardness. Tucker commented he would like to frame the picture and put it up somewhere in our house, but somewhere that not many people will see it.

On another note-we had the most delicious dinner last night! CHEF SALADS! I had to take this picture-it was so colorful and I wanted to try out the new camera.


1 comment:

  1. Oh Donnalee! I love this post. You seriously had me laughing out loud! I sure do miss you!

    ReplyDelete