Friday, November 5, 2010

Sights of Missouri #2-Insects

We found out very quickly living here that bugs love living in Missouri! Thankfully it is a little colder now so many of them are dead or in hiding. We discovered a new insect this year that we had never heard of before, Chiggers. Anyone who knows what those are is probably shuddering just seeing the name. Chiggers are microscopic bugs (hence no picture). They wander around on your body until they hit an elastic band or tight part of your clothes. When they can't go any further, they stop and inject their saliva into you. It creates a bite almost like a mosquito bite, but 10 times worse. The bite itches so bad and lasts anywhere from 2-4 weeks. And it's rarely just one bite, we would sometimes wake up with 9-10 new bites in the morning-miserable. I'm so thankful for the cold weather that has now killed all of them!






4 comments:

  1. Holy Smokes that caterpillar is HUGE! I wish I could have seen it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reptiles and Insects. DD, what is your life coming to? When you get back to UT, do we get to watch your slides of reptiles and insects? Can hardly wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds horrible!!! So glad it is getting colder there! on the other hand it looks like Tucker doesn't mind them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post was followed by a full body shiver. Chiggers sound......fun. Yuck...thank goodness for winter and cold weather to kill all the bugs :)

    p.s. I tried to send you an e-mail the other day, but it failed....so I sent you a message on facebook. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete